Our team of specialists and staff believe that informed patients are better equipped to make decisions regarding their health and well-being. For your personal use, we have created an extensive patient library covering an array of educational topics. Browse through these diagnoses and treatments to learn more about topics of interest to you. Or, for a more comprehensive search of our entire Web site, enter your term(s) in the search bar provided. As always, you can contact our office to answer any questions or concerns.
Brian T. Maurer, DPM, FACFAS
Dr. Maurer is a 1995 graduate of the William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine and completed a two-year foot and ankle surgical residency in Chicago. He has been in practice in Colorado since 1997. Dr. Maurer has training and experience in all aspects of foot and ankle surgery including forefoot and rearfoot reconstruction, trauma and wound care. He is board certified in foot surgery by the American Board of Podiatric Surgery and is a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. He is a Past President of the Colorado Podiatric Medical Association and has served on the board for the Central Rockies Physicians Practice Associates. He is on staff at Vail Valley Medical Center and Summit Medical Center. When not taking care of patients, Dr. Maurer enjoys mountain biking, snowboarding and snowshoeing. He lives in Edwards with his wife and three children.
- Education: Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine, 1995.
- Board Certifications: American Board of Podiatric Surgery.
- Hospital Affiliations: Vail Valley Medical Center, Vail Valley Surgery Center, Summit Medical Center,Peak One Surgery Center.
- Memberships: American Podiatric Medical Association, Colorado Podiatric Medical Association, Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons, Central Rockies Physicians Practice Associates
- Lecture History: Winter Sports and Your Feet, Current Concepts in the Evaluation and Management of Heel Pain, Diabetes and Your Feet, Evaluation and Treatment of Heel Pain in the Athlete, Evaluation of Common Forefoot Disorders, The Spectrum of Heel Pain – Diagnosis and Treatment
- Publications: “Coralline Hydroxyapatite as a Bone Graft Substitute in Foot and Ankle Surgery” JFAS, 1997.
Andrew S. Bernhard, DPM
Andrew Bernhard, DPM is the newest member of the Eagle-Summit Foot and Ankle Team.
Dr. Bernhard was most recently Chief Resident at Kingwood Medical Center, providing foot and ankle care for Houston, TX. While in residency he was trained extensively in forefoot, rearfoot, and ankle surgery under the instruction of over thirty podiatric and orthopedic attending physicians. He has also authored peer reviewed articles on vitamin D research and foot anatomy, as well as given presentations at state and national conventions. Most recently he won first place at a Texas state meeting with a lecture on malignant melanoma.
Born and raised in Cleveland, OH, Dr. Bernhard attended John Carroll University and Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine. While at Kent State, he was heavily involved in extracurricular activities and academics; he served as secretary of the Ohio Podiatric Medical Student Association, tutored underclassmen, and worked as a teaching assistant. For a year and a half, he led school-wide grand rounds, in order to discuss interesting case presentations and learn from others. He graduated summa cum laude with several awards, scholarships, and membership in the Pi Delta honor society.
After living for three years in Houston, Dr. Bernhard is eager to move to the mountains. He and his wife Kaitlyn, a third year podiatry resident at Presbyterian/St. Luke’s Medical Center in Denver, are excited to live together after the last two apart. They enjoy all of the outdoor activities that the area provides, mostly hiking, skiing, running, and kayaking. Though there are no kids around, the cat and two dogs keep them on their toes.
Dr. Bernhard is excited to provide excellent foot and ankle care with the Eagle-Summit Foot and Ankle team. His podiatric interests include trauma, reconstructive surgery, and sports medicine, along with providing day-to-day podiatric care.
- Education: Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, Kent State University, College of Podiatric Medicine, 2013.
- Residency: Kingwood Medical Center, Chief Resident.
- Hospital Affiliations: Vail Valley Medical Center, Vail Valley Surgery Center, Summit Medical Center, Peak One Surgery Center.
- Memberships: American Podiatric Medical Association, Colorado Podiatric Medical Association, American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons, Central Rockies Physicians Practice Associates.
- Presentations: No Woman, No Cry: Nodular melanoma of the ankle, TPMA Bandera Meeting, 2016; Immediate versus Delayed Surgical Intervention Following Ankle Fractures, ACFAS 2016; Advanced Wound Closure, GTEF 2016.
- Publications: “Vitamin D in Foot and Ankle Fracture Healing”, 2015; “Absence of the Fourth Tendon of the Flexor Digitorum Brevis Muscle”, 2013.