Our team of specialists and staff believe that informed patients are better equipped to make decisions regarding their health and well being. For your personal use, we have created an extensive patient library covering an array of educational topics. Browse through these diagnoses and treatments to learn more about topics of interest to you. Or, for a more comprehensive search of our entire Web site, enter your term(s) in the search bar provided. As always, you can contact our office to answer any questions or concerns.
Brian T. Maurer, DPM, FACFAS
Dr. Maurer is a 1995 graduate of the William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine and completed a two-year foot and ankle surgical residency at Thorek Hospital and Medical Center in Chicago. He has been in practice in Colorado since 1997. Dr. Maurer has training and experience in all aspects of foot and ankle surgery including forefoot and rearfoot reconstruction, trauma, and wound care. He is board certified in foot surgery by the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery and is a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons.
He is a Past President of the Colorado Foot and Ankle Society and has served on the board and as Vice President of the Central Rockies Physicians Practice Associates. He is on staff at Vail Health Hospital, St. Anthony Summit Medical Center, and Castle Peak Senior Life and Rehabilitation.
When not taking care of patients, Dr. Maurer loves everything the mountain lifestyle has to offer. He is an avid outdoor enthusiast who enjoys mountain biking, hiking, snowboarding, and snowshoeing. He lives in Edwards with his wife Dana and three teenagers.
- Education: Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine, 1995.
- Board Certifications: American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery, Certified in Foot Surgery – 2000, Recertified – 2009.
- Hospital Affiliations: Vail Health Hospital, Vail Valley Surgery Center, St. Anthony Summit Medical Center, Peak One Surgery Center.
- Memberships: American Podiatric Medical Association, Colorado Foot and Ankle Society, Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons, Central Rockies Physicians Practice Associates
- Lecture History: Winter Sports and Your Feet for Vail and Beaver Creek Ski Patrol, Current Concepts in the Evaluation and Management of Heel Pain, Diabetes and Your Feet, Evaluation and Treatment of Heel Pain in the Athlete, What’s in Store for Aging Feet?, Evaluation of Common Forefoot Disorders, The Spectrum of Heel Pain – Diagnosis and Treatment, Winter Sports and Your Feet
- Publications: “Coralline Hydroxyapatite as a Bone Graft Substitute in Foot and Ankle Surgery” JFAS, 1997
Kaitlyn N. Bernhard, DPM
Originally from central Pennsylvania, Dr. Bernhard completed her undergraduate studies at Mercyhurst University with honors in a Bachelor of Science in Biology. Following in her father’s footsteps she received her doctorate at Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine. A 2017 graduate from Highlands-Presbyterian/St. Luke’s Podiatric Medicine and Surgery residency program in Denver, CO, she was extensively trained in reconstructive and trauma surgery involving the forefoot, rearfoot, and ankle.
Dr. Bernhard has worked at Foot Specialist Associates, P.C. since May 2018, before joining Eagle-Summit Foot & Ankle in January of 2020. She is board qualified in foot surgery and in rearfoot and ankle surgery. Her specialties include foot and ankle reconstructions, trauma, and sports medicine.
Outside of podiatry, Dr. Bernhard and her husband enjoy spending time with their daughter, Lucille, and two dogs, Hamachi and Carl. Her husband, Andrew Bernhard, DPM, is also a podiatrist known for practicing in the High Country, though he is transitioning to a position in Denver. Together they enjoy skiing, mountain biking, stand-up paddle boarding, and trail running. Dr. Bernhard is an avid runner and has completed dozens of ultramarathons and trail races.
As a foot and ankle surgeon and clinician, Dr. Bernhard believes by improving her patients’ lower extremity health will allow them the opportunity to pursue an active and healthy lifestyle for longevity.
- Education: Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, Kent State University, College of Podiatric Medicine, 2014.
- Residency: Highlands-Presbyterian/St. Luke’s Podiatric Medicine and Surgery
- Hospital Affiliations: Vail Health Hospital, Vail Valley Surgery Center, Summit Medical Center, Peak One Surgery Center, Presbyterian/St. Luke’s Medical Center in Denver.
- Memberships: American Podiatric Medical Association, Colorado Podiatric Medical Association, American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons, Central Rockies Physicians Practice Associates.